The Old Cambrian Society (OCS) was registered as an Exempt society in 1952 as a society of Old Boys from the Prince of Wales School (Currently Nairobi School).
The goal of the Old Cambrian Society was to establish a community around the alumni of the school that would enable them to engage in social activities such as sports, giving back to the school community and developing networks for the Old Boys.
As an Exempt Society 1952
Start Joining 1980s
Alumni Official Site
Our Spirit & Objective
History of Nairobi School
Nairobi School is a national boys secondary school in Kenya dating back to 1902 when it was established to serve the families of the Imperial British East Africa Company and later British settlers in the then protectorate.
It is 10km from the Capital City in the Westlands suburb along the busy A104 Highway (Waiyaki Way). It sits on 200 acres and hosts 1600 students along with teachers and support staff.
The school was founded in 1902 by the British settlers who had made Nairobi their home after the construction of the Kenay-Uganda Railway.
Known as the European Nairobi School, it catered to both boys and girls of different ages until 1925 when Lord Delamere, an influential settler, and Sir Edward Grigg, then Governor of Kenya, separated it into a senior boys' school (Prince of Wales School), a senior girls' school (Kenya High School) and a junior school (Nairobi Primary School).
For its new location, the boys secondary school was built in Kabete under the design of the famous British architect, Sir Herbert Baker. Sir Baker also designed the old European Nairobi School, the State Houses of Nairobi and Mombasa and the Nairobi Law Courts.
The school opened in 1931 and was then named the Prince of Wales School but following Kenya's independence the school was renamed to Nairobi School in 1965. The school is popularly referred to as 'Patch'.
Captain Bertram Nicholson, from Royal Naval College, Dartmouth was appointed Headmaster. He designed the School uniform and discipline based on the British Naval system.
The School opened not only for the 80 boys it was designed, but with 84 boarders and 20-day boys. The headmaster felt the old name 'Kabete Boys Secondary School' was too clumsy and it was given the name 'Prince of Wales School'.
In 1942, European education was made compulsory and enrolment increased so much that new temporary classrooms were needed. The wooden classrooms were erected as a "temporary wartime measure". Clive, Grigg, Hawke and Rhodes Houses (the only four houses at the time) were all accommodated in the permanent building adjacent to the tuition block. Today those are two houses, known as Marsabit and Elgon. The period 1943 to 1944 saw the Rhodes/Nicholson complex being built, which is the Serengeti and Athi Houses complex today. The Sanatorium and School Hall were further constructed in 1945 as a sister school, the Duke of York school (today, Lenana School) was founded in 1948.
System of Education
Nairobi School follows the 8-4-4 system of education. The school curriculum is provided by the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development, a parastatal of the Ministry of Education in Kenya. The subjects offered in the school are as follows:
In Form 1 and 2, the compulsory subjects are: English, Kiswahili, Mathematics. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, History and Government, Geography and Business Studies. Students may choose between Christian Religious Education and Islamic Religious Education. They may also choose one subject among the following: Agriculture, Art and Design, Computer Studies, French or Music.
In Form Three and Four, English, Kiswahili, Mathematics, Biology, Physics and Chemistry are compulsory subjects, students may then choose at least one subject from the remaining courses taught in Form 1 and 2
Nairobi school has eight houses, to one of which each student belongs. The houses serve as dormitories, as well as for student organisation for the purpose of sports days, dining hall seating, chapel seating and school assembly. Students develop strong links with members of their houses, and these become evident on sports days. The houses are:
- Athi house (formerly Rhodes house)
- Baringo house (formerly Hawke house)
- Elgon house (formerly Clive house)
- Kirinyaga house (formerly Grigg house)
- Marsabit (formerly Scott house)
- Naivasha house (formerly known as Fletcher house)
- Serengeti house (formerly known as Nicholson house)
- Tana house (formerly Junior House )
The name changes, reflecting geographical areas in Kenya, were adopted in 1975 as part of a deliberate policy of Africanisation.
School Motto, Anthem, Hymn
The school’s motto is “To the Uttermost.”
The school anthem is “Patch Kipenzi Changu (Patch my love)”.
The school hymn is “Trust and Obey”.
The School Crest
The Prince of Wales feathers inserted between the horns of a Royal Impala as the School badge, accompanied by the school motto "TO THE UTTERMOST".